Planning on taking your German Shepherd along on vacation? A survey released by TripAdvisor lists the top 10 accommodations for pet owners and their furry friends.
TripAdvisor, an online travel resource guide, surveyed more than 1,100 travelers and more than 700 pet owners around the globe. Almost half of those surveyed said hotels should be more accepting of pets.
A TripAdvisor representative said bed and breakfast establishments are popular with pet owners.
“Animal lovers might be even pickier about travel accommodations for their pets than they are for themselves,” said Michele Perry, director of communications for TripAdvisor, in a news release. “B&Bs dominate our pet-friendly accommodations list because they do a great job catering to the most finicky pet owners.”
The survey awards Best Western the title of most pet-friendly hotel chain, with Holiday Inn and Red Roof Inn on its heels. The top Best Western, according to pet-friendliness ratings on TripAdvisor, is the Best Western Lake Norman in Cornelius, N.C.
Thirty-five percent of pet owners surveyed say they take shorter vacations, and a quarter take shorter vacations because of their pets. Only 12 percent said their pets thwart their vacation plans.
More dog owners put importance on pet-friendly traveling, with 64 percent insisting on pet-friendly places to stay, compared to 38 percent of cat owners.
Most concerning for owners traveling with pets? Twenty-nine percent of dog owners and 48 percent of cat owners worry their four-footed companions will get “stressed out.”
East Coast, West Coast
A few highlights from the top 10 include the TierraLinda Bed and Breakfast, Galena, Ill. The survey’s first-rated hotel offers dog and their owners a nature-themed paradise. A forest for hiking and lake for swimming ensures a good time for both two- and four-legged travelers.
Besides the colorful canine-themed artwork in the Sleepy Dog Guest House, in Bisbee, Ariz., solitude allows for frolics on leash-free trails and fenced yard. Got a disc dog? A lot is set aside just for tossing a Frisbee.
For cats and dogs with luxurious tastes, The Hotel Marlowe is an eight-story hotel located in Cambridge, Mass. Special packages, such as the finicky feline pampering kit or the man’s best friend pampering kit, both contain freshly made treats from a local pet bakery.
And the Ocean Lodge in Cannon Beach, Ore., boasts oceanfront views no beach hound could resist. Rooms include private decks and beach access, and pet packages are available. A dog wash at the lodge provides a rinse for sandy paws.
- Top Dog: TierraLinda Bed and Breakfast, Galena, Illinois – Average nightly rate: $135.
- Dog Show: The Sleepy Dog Guest House, Bisbee, Arizona – Average nightly rate: $95
- Lassie Locale: Gazebo Inn Ogunquit, Ogunquit, Maine – Average nightly rate: $144
- Canine Cottage: Spruce Moose Lodge and Cottages, North Conway, New Hampshire – Average nightly rate: $124
- Pet Stop: The Ocean Lodge, Cannon Beach, Oregon – Average nightly rate: $220
- Basket-Hound: Cambria Shores Inn, Cambria, California – Average nightly rate: $232
- Hotel Marlowe, Cambridge, Massachusetts – Average nightly rate: $288
- Animal House: Courtney’s Place, Key West, Florida – Average nightly rate: $104
- La Quinta Inn and Suites South Padre, South Padre Island, Texas – Average nightly rate: $177
- Hotel Monaco Denver, Denver, Colorado – Average nightly rate: $247.